Before you book
Consider what type of experience you would like for your students.
Guided tour – Students sit in the historic Legislative Chambers and have an opportunity to participate in a role play. These are only available on non sitting days. Phone 9230 3444 or email [email protected] to book
Legal Studies Program – an opportunity to develop an in-depth understanding of the nature and function of law through the examination of the law-making process and legislative institutions. Recommended for Year 11 and 12 Legal Studies. Learn more and book here.
|EXPERIENCE||DURATION||AVAILABLE ON||START TIMES||MAX. NUMBERS|
|Guided Tour||90 minutes||Non sitting day only||9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm||50|
|Legal Studies Program (in-person)||90 minutes||Only Wednesdays and Thursdays in Sitting Weeks||11 am||50|
|Legal Studies Program (on zoom)||45 minutes||On demand||On demand||25|
Please allow sufficient time (at least 15 minutes) before and after your visit for students to drop off and collect bags, use toilets, and get through security checks.
How to book
|From late November 2022 until May 2023, NSW Parliament House will undergo important maintenance and safety works. In-person school tours will be postponed during this time. Tours will be available to book again once the 2023 sitting calendar is determined after the 2023 March election. Schools can access additional online options, including tailored Zoom sessions for students. For more information, please email us directly using the button below.|
- Check the NSW Sitting Day Calendar to find the right date for the type of experience for your students. The days marked green, dark red or blue indicate that one or both of the houses are sitting and the Guided Tours are not offered. The Parliament is closed on weekends and public holidays.
- Please have the following information ready
- School’s name
- Your phone number and the school phone number
- Your best contact email address
- Year of students
- Number of students
- Number of teachers and accompanying adults
- Details on where your class will be up to with your unit of work on the Parliament
- Details of any students with special needs to help us prepare for your visit
Call (02) 9230 3444 Email us directly
- Please see our Venue and Safety Information Policy
- Inform the students their bags will be scanned (similar to an airport) when arriving at the NSW Parliament. Students should not bring sharp objects, scissors, compasses etc.
- To add to your experience, you may be able to meet your local member! Once a booking has been made, an email will be sent to the electorate office, and the Member will attend if available.
- Choose students for the role play before you arrive for your program. On the day, students will be given pre-written scripts to read. Some suggestions to consider when selecting students could include:
- Students who are fluent readers
- Students who are happy to speak in front of their peers
- Students from both classes if your excursion combines different classes.
- To stay up-to-date with education programs subscribe to our Teacher’s Newsletter.
In one tour group you will need 10 students to play;
|Shadow Attorney General|
|Leader of the Opposition|
|Leader of the Government|
|Chair of Committees|